Core Concepts in Pharmacology 4th Edition
Pharmacology is one of the most challenging subjects for those embarking on careers in the health sciences. By its
very nature, pharmacology is an interdisciplinary subject, borrowing concepts from a wide variety of the natural and
applied sciences. Prediction of drug action, the ultimate goal in the study of pharmacology, requires a thorough knowledge of anatomy, physiology, chemistry, and pathology as well as of the social sciences of psychology and sociology. It is the interdisciplinary nature of pharmacology that makes the subject difficult to learn, but fascinating to study.
Core Concepts in Pharmacology 4th Edition presents pharmacology from an interdisciplinary perspective. The text draws upon core concepts of anatomy, physiology, and pathology to make drug therapy understandable. The text does not assume that the student comes to the course with a strong background in the natural or applied sciences. Instead, the prerequisite science knowledge necessary for understanding drug therapy is reviewed in each chapter that presents the core concepts in pharmacology.
Whats new in Core Concepts in Pharmacology 4th Edition
- 2 New Chapters! Because of the expansion in pharmacologic development in immune modulation and diabetes
management, these topics are presented in new chapters.
- Updated and Revised! All drugs updated and prototypes adjusted to reflect modern drug usage.
- Updated and Revised! Safety Alert features throughout the text call attention to medication errors and The Joint Commission safety guidelines.
- Drug Prototype boxes include both therapeutic and pharmacological drug classifications.
- Added! Black Box Warnings for the drugs designated as special risk.
- Updated and Revised! End of chapter NCLEX-PN® questions completely revised. Full rationales and NCLEX
tagging are provided in an online appendix.
- Updated! Glossary provided with definitions of all key terms.
- Addition of off-label uses of drugs and adverse effects to drug tables as appropriate.
- Completely Revised! The Nursing Process Focus charts
reflecting current nursing practice.